Re: what cd-writer ?

Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> I want to buy a cd-writer. I don't need rewritable support at present
> time, but it would be a plus.
> I've seen a new Yamaha model that's affordable. Are they good and well
> supported with Linux ?

<RANT>
Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a HP ATAPI cd-rw. They
suck really really bad. I am on my 3rd warranty-returned HP 7110i
internal atapi cd-rw drive right now, and it's showing signs of failing
just like the last 2 i had.

plus, in order to get the drive returned, you _must_ put it in a windows
box. This led to some trouble with the last drive I had, as I tried
installing Win95 off a cd in the HP drive, and it spun down and ejected
the cd 17% of the way through the install. And the HP tech support
people would _still_ not replace the drive, because the Win95 install
was running under DOS and they don't support dos...

I spend over 2 weeks talking to the HP tech people _every_day_ before
they finally gave in and took the drive back.
</RANT>

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :