Re: setting up Linux

scoobie <scoobee@execulink.com> writes:

> I have a 10 GB hard drive on order and I was wondering how many
> partitions would be good for Linux.

Personally I would do:

1. A small partition (50MB would be plenty) for booting Linux, also
   serving as / file system.
2. Whatever you want for Windows
3. Swap. Also, possibly leave some space for future expansion here.
4. One to three GB for /usr. Most of the space for programs you install from
   Debian packages is used here. I manage to have the most common
   tools and X fit into 200 MB but that's rather tight.
5. Whatever you want to leave for your own Linux work. This becomes
   /home, and I'd make /usr/local a symlink to a subdirectory on this
   partition, too. The point is that you can have this survive a
   reinstallation. The install process does not touch /home or /usr/local.

If you are sure your BIOS can manage loading the kernel from above the
512MB line, you could put the boot partition between the swap space
and /usr. That way you won't have to constantly seek across the
Windows space.

> Can I put Windows 95 or 98 on the same hard drive and run either
> Linux or Windows, choosing which I want

Yes. The most common advise seen here seems to be to first partition
the disk (using the linux installation floppies but bailing out before
actually beginning installation), then install Windows and then
complete the Linux installation.

You let Lilo (the boot manager for Linux) handle the boot process and
let you choose between Linux and Windows at boot-up time, or use a
boot manager from another source and let Lilo live in your root
partition, only to be activated when you choose to boot Linux.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm