Can't start X on my Laptop ...

Hi,
  My mom gave me her old Laptop (Toshiba T1950) from work, so Im in the
mobile buisiness now, proging Java on the road ...

While installing slink was a quite easy (downloading all .deb on my main
machine, tarballing, spliting onto disks and so on), I was unable to get
X working. Main problem is my not existant knowledge of the hardware of
the Laptop, i.e. which VGA card and whch Display are build in.
SuperProbe reports a "Generic VGA (or unknown SVGA)", which is not a
help (or is it? I don't know ...).

The Linux-Laptop Guide
(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/) had no useful
information for me, at least none I could find ...

I got the laptop with plain MSDOS 6.2 , so I cant look into the windows
configfiles ...

ok. Can anybody help me ? I'm lost at the moment.

mfg
Andreas Sliwka --- http://emil.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/~goff
talk to me: goff@trashcan.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/ICQ:13961062