Re: fetchmail/procmail tears mail apart

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 "Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>
>> [about fetchmail splitting mail at lines starting with `From ']

> First thanks for the hints I have received.
> Reading the fetchmail-FAQ I found this:
> X3. Messages containing "From" at start of line are being split.
> [...]
>    If you can't replace the offending program, take a look at your
>    sendmail.cf file. There will likely be a line something like

I'd say `fetchmail' is the offending program here :-)  The description
for it says:

  This is a full-featured, robust and very configurable POP3 / APOP /
  IMAP mail forwarder. It's designed to pick up mail from a mail
  server host and deliver it _just_as_though_it_had_arrived_on_your_
  _client_machine_via_SMTP_.	[underscores mine]

Obviously, splitting mail breaks this promise.  File a bug report.
Either the program or the description has a bug.  Personally, I'd
blame `fetchmail' if it claims to be a mail-transport-agent.  MTAs
should not alter message content.  That's like the mailman opening
your mail.  MTAs can do whatever they please with the headers, but
they should stay clear of everything that follows the first empty
line, i.e. a line with nothing preceding the CRLF.

However, `fetchmail' provides a `popclient' and I'm not sure what
these beasties are supposed and allowed to do.  However, if I were
to ask my dog to fetch the mail, I'd be upset if it got ripped into
pieces ;-)  Splitting messages is something I'd only entrust to my
mail-reader.

> Now I wonder where I have my sendmail.cf file, I am using (the
> Debian standard) smail. Can't see nothing about procmail in
> /etc/smail, I wonder how my system knows that it should deliver mail
> with procmail. If I could add this option, I guess my problem would
> be solved.

Try this

  debian:~# find /etc -name sendmail.cf

and have a look the `find' manual page after that.  I just grepped
through `Contents-i386' and the only references to `sendmail.cf' came
from the sendmail and fidogate packages (hamm).  The relevant file for
smail is /etc/smail/config.  Also have a look at the `smail-config'
man page.