Re: [LPRng] Remote Printer and if filters

> Here's the new printcap entry:
>
> lp|HP Laserjet5L:\
>         :lp=lp@localhost:\
>         :bq=lps_260923_pcl@lps_260923:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj5l:\
>         :sh:\
>         :pw#80:\
>         :pl#60:\
>         :px#1440:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljjet4l-filter:\
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Maybe with bq= you don't really need the lp= and can point it to
/dev/null?  THIS IS JUST A GUESS.  This file may be perfect as-is.

> ... being a purist, I'd rather not be editing the
> stock filters in /etc/magicfilter.  As soon as someone else does some
> administration or we change
> printers it's going to be more of a hassle than I want.
> I'd *really* like to solve this in /etc/printcap - people (including me a
> year from now) will look there first...not to mention it should work from
> there using the "bq=" statement.

A very good instinct.  Of course, you could always document what you do
in the printcap file as comments.  My son maintains a Debian system and
emails a account on another machine (with file diffs and maybe dpkg -l
output) when he makes changes.  The mail then becomes a change history
and a cookbook for rebuilding the system should disaster (e.g. hard
drive crash) strike.

I haven't tried bq= and realized this weakness in my response to you.
I'll watch this list and (I hope) learn this soon.

> When I send a job to the printer w/ the above printcap entry I get this error
> message:
>
> chuck@Bertha: lpr ~chuck/lpr-test
> connection to 'localhost' failed - Connection refused
> job 'cfA427practical.richnet.net' transfer to lp@localhost failed
>
> So is this now an issue with /etc/lpd.conf and /etc/lpd.perms?  What's
> missing?

There is a discussion of this very topic today in this mailing group.
You could well be right.  I'd try to solve the problem by breaking it
out, e.g.:
- can you ping the remote machine?
- can you print to it without a filter (just as a test)?
- try modifing /etc/lpd.*
- etc.
It certainly sounds like a permission problem on the LOCAL machine.

Regards - MikeT

--
Michael E. Touloumtzis		mailto:toumi01@cai.com
Ingres Product Development