installation using parallel port cd-drive

I want to install debian linux 2.0 on my computer.

I have an HP omnibook 600c and a Microsolutions backpack cd-rom 16770. The
cd-rom is connected to the omnibook over the parallel port.

I also have
-bootdisk (resc1440.bin)
-cd rom "debian linux 2.0"
-floppy drive for the omnibook

I can boot from the bootdisk and start partitioning my harddrive. But when
I come to the point where I want to install files from the cd-rom, the
backpack cd-rom is not recognized and I cannot load anything from cd-rom.

Do I have to set special boot options? Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Andreas
pizzinini@usa.net