Re: Minicom problem

Quoting ktb (ktb@binary.net):
> Hi, I'm trying to use minicom to dial up my isp.  It dials and then asks
> for a login and password.  After I do this I get the following error:
>
> login: xxxxx
> Password:xxxxxx
> PPP session from (12.13.120.16) to 207.140.121.113
> beginning....~y}#.!}!}!}~
> NO CARRIER

Looks fine to me, so long as there's a time interval between the
last two lines. You need to run pppconfig with the chat method
of authentication. The when you type pon and it sees the ppp
garbage (~y}#.!}!}!}~), it'll exchange LCP and you'll be on.

> If I put an "S" in front of my login name it takes me to a shell
> account.  I don't know what that is really but what I want is to be able
> to access the internet and use Netscape.

Then you don't need the shell account, just the ppp connection.

> The reason I'm trying minicom
> is I'm having a modem problem when I use "pon" and "poff"; if you have
> been following the "modem freezeup" string you'll know what I'm talking
> about.  How do I get this to work?

Tell pppconfig the username and password as above, using chat
(not chap or pap) authentication.

Cheers,