Minicom problem

Hi, I'm trying to use minicom to dial up my isp.  It dials and then asks
for a login and password.  After I do this I get the following error:

login: xxxxx
Password:xxxxxx
PPP session from (12.13.120.16) to 207.140.121.113
beginning....~y}#.!}!}!}~
NO CARRIER

If I put an "S" in front of my login name it takes me to a shell
account.  I don't know what that is really but what I want is to be able
to access the internet and use Netscape.   The reason I'm trying minicom
is I'm having a modem problem when I use "pon" and "poff"; if you have
been following the "modem freezeup" string you'll know what I'm talking
about.  How do I get this to work?
Thanks,
Kent