Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:36:41 -0600 (EST)
From: Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net>
To: matthew@debian.org
Cc: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Severe DOS under 2.2.1

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, M.C. Vernon wrote:

 : Dear all,
 :
 : 	Yesterday I had the rather disconcerting happening of my machine
 : running a massive DOS in my abscence. I have an NE2000 card, and compiled
 : a 2.2.1 kernel at 00.05 on Thursday morning, then went to bed. I then got
 : up at about 7am, and did some ssh. I went out at 8. About 11pm, my machine
 : started spewing random stuff out at full wack (10Mbits per sec), causing
 : half the college network and a router to die. Since then, it has behaved
 : fine (plugged in behind another box incase it repeats), and there is
 : nothing in the kernel config or any logs to suggest anything
 : extraordinary.
 :
 : DoeS aNy Body have any ideas what might have caused this, or any more
 : diagnostics I could run?

Sounds like a smurf attack.  I'll track down the URL and send it to you
if you wish - I'm at home, tired, and lazy :)

(smurf is "solved" with routers, generally, so you should run the info
at the URL by your admins and see if they've made the changes).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD