Re: Extreme Security Suggestions?

>Hi,
>I am wondering what is the recommended way to secure a sizeable volume
(0.5-2GB
>) of confidential data such that it is non-retreivable/unusable even in the
>event that a hacker has gained user level or <shudder> root access?
>
>I have thought of some kind of encryption; but I haven't seen anything fast
>enough to make that practical given that I would have to re-encrypt the
whole
>data set after working on it. I also thought of simply having a dedicated
>partition for the data in question and unmounting it when I leave the
machine.
>But I suppose a hacker with root access could easily remount it. Which
leaves
>the option of having a dedicated physical drive and unplugging it when I
leave.
>But that is annoying since I would have to leave my machine open all the
time.
>:(. So any other suggestions, comments?

The best option that I know about is the Cryptographic File System. When
mounted
you can't tell the difference between it and any other type of file system;
but if you
haven't got it mounted - the data is encrypted (equivilent to PGP I think in
quality)

You used to be able to get it from the Non-US archive. I don't know if you
still can though.

Jolyon