Re: /usr vs. /usr/local

*- On  5 Feb, Ted Behling wrote about "/usr vs. /usr/local"
> What's the recommended usage difference between /usr and /usr/local?  I
> understand that it's up to me, but what do most people use each of these
> for?  To date, I've put a couple things in /usr/sbin and my source has gone
> into /usr/src .

/usr/local is off limits to Debian packages. Things in /usr/local
will not be replaced, deleted, etc. when upgrading or whatever.
Things in /usr other than local can be deleted, replaced, etc. by
Debian packages. For the official word see the FHS documentation at
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-toc.html.

--
Brian
							   - unknown