Re: X-windows not working anymore...

Take a look at your ~/.xsession-errors file... I've usually found that
it'll point me in the right direction.  If that doesn't help, I'd be
willing to do a little digging for you.  I'd need you to run
"startx [any-options-you-normally-use] >startx.out 2>&1", then email me
the output from that along with ~/.xsession-errors, ~/.xsession (if it
exists), and /etc/X11/XF86Config.