Re: Mozilla Help!!!

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Rod Person wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I've just spent 5 1/2 hours trying to get ppp and Mozilla up and
> running. I have successfully gotten ppp to hold the
> connection, but I can't get Mozilla to load any pages.
> If I type an address such as www.debian.org I get the error that the DNS
> does not exist. It doesn't even seem to try and find it.
> If I type in an address such as 130.149.28.10 it searches, connects,
> waits for data and give me the 404 error page from my ISP. At the bottom
> of that page is a hyperlink nack to my ISP's home.
> if I click on that I get the no DNS name error pop up box.
> I've read all the ppp readmes and man pages but I can't find a thing on
> this error. I also got a SOCKET error pop up from Mozilla.
> it said I may need to set an environmental variable to correct this.
> Where and how would I do that??
> I'm lost...PLEASE HELP!! I'm about the bang my head of my keyboard!!
> thanks....

First things first. Given that you have a ppp connection, let's see if you
can access a DNS. Try using ping or traceroute to check. Does your
/etc/resolv.conf file have valid DNS entries? Here's what mine looks like:

	nameserver 128.54.16.2
	nameserver 132.239.69.26
	nameserver 132.239.254.201
	nameserver 128.54.16.3
	search ucsd.edu

[Note, there are no tabs in the actual file.]

Then, check that you can ping a known IP address, e.g. "ping 128.54.16.2".

Finally, I suggest trying a simple, stable browser like lynx to make sure
everything is working.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.