Re: slashdot poll

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Paul Seelig wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, William Schwartz wrote:
>-- snip
> When i tested Redhat this was one of the most definitive turn offs.
> One needed to have X11 up and running to have access to a rather
> strange package management frontend.  Actually dselect is terrible in
> ergonomic terms and intuitive usage but at least it works and does
> it's job far better than this RPM frontend under X11.  And it even
> works well when you take the time to read the documentation to get
> aquainted with it's somewhat awkward handling.  I even began to like
> it to some degree.  But then there is SuSE...

Reasonable people  can differ about the merits of the installation
and maintenance procedures, and Unix is richer for having  several
choices.  The real issue is adhering to a common file system layout.
I would like to see the day when a single binary
package can be installed on Red Hat, Debian, Suse, Slackeware
FBSD, etc;  The binary package should come with its own
uninstall script.  The issue of GUI's, administrative interfaces,
etc. is IMHO much less important.

King Lee
king@cs.csubak.edu