> You wrote:
> > Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven:
> > > ppp.log:
> > > send (ATZ^M)
> > > expect (OK)
> > > ^M
> > > NO CARRIER
> > > -- Failed
> > That'd definitely be a problem, but I'm not sure how it'd come about; why
> > would a modem respond to `ATZ' with `NO CARRIER'?
>
> Simple enough - the modem wasn't in command mode, it was at the end of
> the previous dial

Oh, of course. Didn't think of that.

> (that failed) but somehow the modem wasn't put back in command mode when
> ppp or whatever gave up.

[to Helge Hafting] Possibly it hadn't timed out yet - long timeouts can
give rise to Heisenbugs :-)

> So dialer sends ATZ to a modem that is dialling already.  This normally
> makes the modem give up the dialling asap, and return NO CARRIER.  Trying
> ATZ again will usually work.

[to Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven] So, once it fails with that, does trying again
help? Does it at least give a different error message?

If it's an external modem, it can be reset by switching it off and then on,
or if it doesn't have a switch by unplugging it from the electricity and
then plugging it back in.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently