Re: Where is emacs and vi command line editing set?

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 02:22:05PM +0100, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> -> A long long time ago my root account mysteriously switched to using vi
> -> command-line editing instead of the default emacs, and I've been too
> -> lazy to get around to fixing it until now I guess. Where is this
> -> behavior configured?
>
> hmmm use bash or tcsh as your shell

I think there are several ways to change command line editing behavior
in bash. One is to edit ~/.inputrc:

  set editing-mode emacs

If someone changed this to vi, change it back to emacs or delete it.

I think ksh uses $EDITOR or $VISUAL to control command line editing
behavior.

If these pointers didn't help, try "man bash" (or whatever your shell
is) to find other ways of changing the behavior.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com