RE: Caldera dist finds net card, Debian doesn't

On 23-Feb-99 Paul Hardiman wrote:
> I have a 3c905B net card.  As the subject indicates, the Caldera dist
> finds it fine, but the Hamm distribution doesn't. lsmod (Caldera) shows
> 3c59x and that object module exists in the /lib/modules dir of each
> installation.
>
> My attempts to rtfm have been fruitless.  Appreciate any assist.

Is yours a Boomerang card?  I had similar problems with Debian but not Caldera
OpenLinux 1.3.

I had trouble with Debian finding my card only because during the network
setup, I chose the option to connect with an ISP.  I installed Debian again but
this time made the other choice, the option to network.  That did the trick and
I was still able to get on the net.

When you are presented with that choice, just don't take the ISP option.
There might be a way to get things working without a reinstall, and maybe some
of the more experienced Debianers know how to do it.  I had to reinstall,
though.

--
Andrew