Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> wrote:
> Christian Kurz wrote:
> >
> > Mark Brown <broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> > > Try Emacs or XEmacs.  Don't be mislead by the fact that they call Emacs
> > > an editor - it's far, far more than a mere editor.  It has support for
> > > compilation and interactive debugging within an Emacs session, and has
> > > hooks for using version control systems and syntax highlighting for most
> > > programming languages you're likely to care about.
> >
> > Hm, but there are people, that don't want Emacs or XEmacs, because they
> > prefer some other editor or vim. :-) We got xwpe as an IDE as
> > Debian-Package and there's also an IDE called rhide[1], but it isn't a
> > Debian-Package yet. Maybe someone creates one of it.

> 	Didn't rhide begin in the DOS world?  It would have to be heavily
> modified to be usefull in the Unix world, wouldn't it?

No, I looked at the homepage yesterday and the authors are porting it to
Linux. You can get the sources and static compiled binaries. For the
compilation you need the source of gdb, AFAIK. But that shouldn't be a
problem with Debian.

Ciao
     Christian
--