RE: NFS Server Comments

On 01-Mar-99 Tim Buller wrote:
> We are investigating the possibility of replacing a departmental NFS
> Server which is currently a Sun Sparc 20 running Solaris with some kind of
> i386 hardware running Debian 2.1. This server would support about 500
> users, 100 of which may be active in any one week. It would have ~50 GB of
> RAID5 storage. It would also run Samba and Netatalk to serve user files to
> Windoze and Mac boxes. Some questions/issues are:

Not to be stupid, but why not switch the Sun to Linux?

> 5) What about coda? Is it stable enough to implement in a production
> system at the departmental level?

No, it is not.  Maybe 6 months to a year.  Coda currently also depends on you
knowing the size of data the coda fs will hold.  Upgrading this is not trivial.
 So installing another 10gb 3 months from now is not easy.  Copying large files
and files larger than the allocated space cause problems.