odd behaviour after reboot

I have a "co-located" debian server (i386, hamm).  My ISP moved
offices so the machine had to be taken down and rebooted.  Now
dmesg shows:

3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe400,
00:10:5a:5a:19:57, IRQ 10
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/NWay
Autonegotiation interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
net_alias_dev_create(eth0:0): unregistered family==2
net_alias_dev_create(eth0:1): unregistered family==2
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
ARP: arp called for own IP address
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

(I've cut and pasted that in bits so don't take the numbers of lines
too seriously).

The ISP tells me initial difficulties getting the server visible were
because it was "losing the gateway".  It _had_ been up and running
for 40 days and neither he nor I can think of any changes we've
made that would cause this.  I've no wish to use appletalk and
checking with dselect suggests I don't have either atalk or netatalk
(?) or any of the packages that mention appletalk installed.

/etc/init.d/network is:

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR0=195.182.181.1
IPADDR1=195.182.181.251
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=195.182.181.0
BROADCAST=195.182.181.255
GATEWAY=195.182.181.254
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR0} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast
${BROADCAST}
ifconfig eth0:0 ${IPADDR0} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast
${BROADCAST}
ifconfig eth0:1 ${IPADDR1} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast
${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add -host ${IPADDR0} dev eth0:0
route add -host ${IPADDR1} dev eth0:1
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

That was created by the ISP long ago.  Anyone see what's going
wrong?  Any chance it's down to things they're sending around
their new network setup?

TIA,

Chris