svgalib problem on Riva TNT

So far in my ~6 months of Linux experience, nothing have so completely
eluded me as svgalib. I've never gotten it to work at all. There was a
time when it crashed my graphics completely, but now it won't even do
that. I compiled version 1.4.0 and the demo programs that go with
it. Most of them say "Mode not available.". "lineart" says "Invalid
mode 10", and "vgatest" says:

Choose one of the following video modes:
Enter mode number (1-0):

(as if 1-0 were the only available modes).
I've edited my libvga.conf to the best of my ability, here's what it
looks like: