Re: Debian Packages compiled with PGCC

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 02:41:03PM -0600, Eric wrote:

> I figure that they could have the important processor-intensive
> packages actually recompiled with PGCC and the rest of the things in
> binary-i686 would just be links to the packages in binary-i386.

Definately.  Pentium optimised vi or cp just isn't worth bothering
about.  I kind of prefer the "build from source package" option, though
- it solves the much more general problem.

> As a side note, has anyone gotten PGCC to install _cleanly_?  I got it
> functioning by copying files over from the expanded tarball...but it
> wasn't quite right.  The --tell-gcc-lib (or something like that)

> with alien...that just didn't work well at all.  It still installed
> itself in the /opt directory!?!

What are you trying to install from?  It builds perfectly happily from
source into whatever directory you want (although I've not tried on
Linux recently), and the last anyone told me the binary releases wanted
to be put into /usr.  It's not much hassle to build from source.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/