Re: XFree with S3 Trio3D AGP?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Corey Ralph wrote:

|I have been trying to get XFree86 to work with a Trio3d AGP card, and it
|doesn't seem to be supported.

indeed, it isn't

|Somebody sent me a link to an update for red hat to support it, but I would
|prefer to stick with Debian.

no, redhat doesn't support.

|I am using Debian 2.0 I have upgraded to the XFree86 from slink, and have
|download the S3 server 3.3.3.1 from xfree86.org, but it doesn't seem to
|work.
|Any ideas?

Oh, yes, i have it too and it works good in 1024x768 and 32 bit color.
But, you have to upgrade to kernel 2.2.x and use the framebuffer device.
This gives you that nice little pinguin at boottime ;-)
you can find all necessary info in the source docs:
linux/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt and
linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

Than you can use X with XF86_FBDev X-server. I'v read in dejanews that
some others have it running also.
There's also a howto somewhere on the net, but i lost the bookmark :-(

It's just a pity that those framebuffers don't work with frequency's above
60Hz.

Success!
--
Bernhard Dobbels 	Student Electronic Engineer
			option Automation and Computersystems.