Re: Netscape buttons lacking color

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> Hello Debian-user,
>
>   I am running Debian 2.0, XFCE/2 desktop and Netscape 4.5 (glibc) with a
>   Matrox MDA 200 card. Everything is running (suprisingly) smoothly
>   even though I am a Linux newbie.
>
>   My problem is that the Netscape buttons turn black and white (and
>   ugly!) when I
>   run 24 bpp resolution.
>
>   Anyone know how to solve with this (The obvious is to reduce the
>   resolution to 16 bit, but I like having 24 bit running gimp).
>

> //Christian

I have this same problem when trying to run X in 24bpp.  The reason shown
in the X start up messages is that pixmap caching is disabled when I try
to run in 24bpp.  I assumed it was due to a shortage of video memory. (i
have 4096).  I never really pursued it, though, because I'm quite content
with 16. You should check your startup messages and if see if this is
happening for you as well.

Jeffrey