Kernel upgrade questions

Hello Debian-user,

1.  I have the stable Debian distr. set up running (kernel 2.0.34). Can get the latest
  kernel, compile it and install it on my system, or do I have to
  upgrade other parts of my system as well?

2.  I have compiled sound card support for my Soundblaster card as a
  module on my running kernel. Do I have to patch the 2.2.x source with the
  awe driver before compiling it as I had to with the 2.0.34 kernel?

  TIA

//Christian

cdysthe@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~cdysthe

"If everything is coming your way, you are probably
in the wrong lane"