Re: X, new video card, and servers.

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 12:46:16PM -0500, Daniel J. Brosemer wrote:
> I recently bought a new 2D/3D video card based on the 3DLabs chipset, and
> the www.xfree86.org serverlist tells me to use the XF86_3DLabs server.
> This isn't included in the debian distrobution.  I'm not sure if that
> server is only for 3.3.3 and I'm not quite sure how to find out.

Yes, I believe that card is supported by the 3.3.3 servers.

> My question is a) is it for 3.3.3 only and if so, are there any 3.3.3
> debs?  If not, are there docs on compiling my own X server and inserting
> it into debian's list?  I would want to remove my old xserver-mach64, but
> AFAIK dpkg would complain about dependencies.

See http://master.debian.org/~branden/xsf.html.  Also, I doubt anything
depends explicitly on xserver-mach64; once another X server is installed,
it should be perfectly safe to remove the Mach64 server.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    There's nothing an agnostic can't do
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    if he doesn't know whether he believes