Re: Linux and Partition Magic

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I have used Partition Magic 4.0 to expand and move a Linux partition and
> it worked fine.  After doing this, I had to boot from a floppy and run
> LILO before I could boot Linux from LILO, however.

I have also had this happen to me. I have contacted PowerQuest about it,
demonstrated it to them, and they have acknowledged that it's a bug.

I use another boot manager in the MBR (Bootit Direct), so I have Lilo
installed in the Linux partition boot sector. I have found that when I
use PM 4.0 to resize/move a bootable Linux *logical* drive (inside the
extended partition) I almost always have the lilo problem afterwards.
When I do a similar operation on a bootable Linux *primary* partition,
the Lilo problem doesn't happen.

PM 4.0 attempts to do the equivalent of running the lilo command when it
works on a partition - but doesn't always get it right. It also makes
appropriate changes to /etc/fstab automatically - and so far it looks
like it does that right.

Tom

--
Try Debian GNU/Linux - it's free, it's open source, and it rocks
http://www.debian.org