jre & checkVersions

Hi,

A friend of mine is trying to install some Java course material that
comes as a shell archive.  The installation fails when it says it's
testing jre, saying that it can't find the checkVersion class.

We're both newbies to Java so please tell me if we have something
fundamentally wrong.

He's got a hamm distribution.  I thought I'd try it out on my slink
version.  Just running jre by hand.

I get
$ jre
Warning: can't find /usr/lib/jdk1.1/bin/../bin/checkVersions, hope that's ok

The file /usr/lib/jdk1.1/bin/checkVersions indeed does not exist.

A web search tells me that an RPM for Java produces the file.

http://www.hensa.ac.uk/linux/rpm2html/contrib/hurricane/i386/jdk-1.1.6.5-2glibc.i386.html

Does anyone know what is likely wrong?

Thanks,
--
Brett Wuth  wuth@acm.org wuth@telusplanet.net bwuth@cuug.ab.ca
Box 1251-U, Pincher Creek, Alberta T0K 1W0, CANADA  Tel:+1 403 627-2460