Squid refusing to fetch article

I recently upgraded Squid to version 2.1.2-1.  I thought I'd rewritten
my configuration (cacheing proxy forwarding all requests outside the
local network to another squid) appropriately, but intermittently Squid
complains that it is "Unable to forward this request at this time.",
claiming that the parent cache is unreachable even though I can connect
to it using telnet.  The problem generally goes away after a few
seconds.

Does anyone have any idea why it's doing it, and how to make the problem
go away?  I've got a feeling I'm missing something really obvious in the
configuration.

Thanks for any help.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/