Re: Stumped!! Cdrom not a valid block dev.

> My cdrom has worked fine for months - after i figure out it was a
> goldstar. Now Debian claims it is not a valid block device.
>
> On boot, I get the cdrom detected, happy goldstar message. which is good.
> I try to mount it and I get not a valid block dev. I tried to MAKEDEV and
> it seem to compile but still not lucky. I even tried mount cdrom, but of
> course in /etc/fstab it is /dev/gscd. Any help on this one?

Um, this may be a silly question, but is there a CD in the drive?
Also, I think you will get  such a message if the CD is broken, or
audio format, so try another one.  Also, it sometimes helps to reseat
the connectors of your cdrom.  Does it work in other OS-s?

No offense intended ;)

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032