Re: Slink upgrade - problems with X.

On 17 Mar 1999, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> I just upgraded to slink, and followed the instructions to delete xbase.
>> Lots of problems have resulted.
>> I am very confused by the new X stuff.
>> Startx wasn't installed, but I found it on the CDRom and installed it.
>>To get startx to work I had to make a link from /etc/X11/XF86Config to
> /etc/XF86Config and another from /usr/X11R6/bin.XF86_SVGA to X.
>> But still I can't run startx as user, only as root.

I found out what the problem was: apt-get had not installed one of the
basic X packages (can't remember which). Installing this manually made X
work.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/index.html

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)