Re: Xterm not showing Xresources changes

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 10:48:55AM -0500, MallarJ@aol.com wrote:
> branden@ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>
> > Translation overrides look like this:
> >
> >  *VT100.Translations: #override ~Meta <Key>BackSpace: string("\177")\n\
> >                                 <Key>Delete: string("\033[3~")\n\
> >                                 <Key>Home: string("\033OH")\n\
> >                                 <Key>End: string("\033OF")
> >
> >  (The above is in the default /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm.)
> >
> >  If you also have translation overrides for the VT100 widget in your
> >  .Xresources file, all the above overrides will be forgotten even if you're
> >  not changing the events for the BackSpace, Delete, Home or End keys.
>
> Let me make sure I understand you... if I decide to use the translations, I
> need to put them all on one line, right?  Are you saying that multiple entries
> will not merge correctly, only the last one will be used?

All on one logical line, yes.  As you can see above, more than one physical
line is used.  But yes, basically, that's what's I am saying.  If you have

*VT100.Translations: #override foo

and

*VT100.Translations: #override bar

Only "bar" will be used, even if it defines translations that don't collide
with those in "foo" at all.  It doesn't matter if foo and bar are in the
same file or not.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    I am sorry, but what you have mistaken
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    for malicious intent is nothing more