/usr/include/linux -> eh?

I'm trying to compile vmware (virtual machine under linux), having
updated my kernel to 2.2.3.

vmware needs to compile a module during the installation process, and it
takes one look at the version.h file that I have in /usr/include/linux
and barfs (wrong kernel version - version.h still reckons I'm running
2.0.36).

It appears that the info in version.h that comes with the libc6-dev
package suggests that I'm still running 2.2.3. I just removed and
re-installed libc6-dev, and version.h is no different.

I can't believe that such an oversight is "normal", which leads me to
conclude that I'm not doing things "the debian way" (again).

Could somebody help me out here? How do I keep version.h up to date?

Thanks.

P.S. vmware actually says the following;

  Whoa, something is wrong with the system include files on your
  machine!  The file <linux/version.h> is for a 2.0.36 Linux system but
  you are running a 2.2.3 kernel.

And fixing the version number in version.h noticably doesn't fix my
compilation problems.

--
Graham