Re: SAMBA help.

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Paul Nathan Puri wrote:

> When you say yours is called ASGARD, does that mean you named your linux
> box ASGARD too?

No, my linux box is bolverk, and the windows machine is FRIGG.
My workgroup is ASGARD
ie. I have 'workgroup = ASGARD' in my smb.conf file.

> So I have to edit /etc/hosts and the rest to rename my machine?  Hmmm...

Don't rename your machine unless you can't do a 'hostname' without getting
'.'s in the name.  At work, I do:

dbroseme@penguin1:[~/tinfly]$ hostname
penguin1

So it doesn't return penguin1.glfc.forestry.ca which is good, that's what
you want.

> I like the intranet setup a lot.  But I definitely need to learn SAMBA; so
> do I have to rename my linux box, edit host files etc?  Thanks...

Yes, edit the host files.  You should have an entry in your /etc/hosts
and/or /etc/lmhosts for your windows box(en) (as explained in my HowTo)
unless you are running a nameserver, then, you add entries for your
clients to your nameserver.  You may also find it of benefit to run a WINS
setup, this will be covered in detail in a later version of my HowTo, but
it's fairly straightforward from reading the SAMBA docs.

HTH

-Dano