Re: Hitting web site consistently dropped ppp connection?

On 21 Mar 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> Heikki Vatiainen writes:
>
> > Escape sequence is probably the correct quess. I just
> > downloaded the page and one of comments had this signature:
>
> > -- + ++ATH0
>     ^
> > Space added by me to protect modem owners. My guess is your
> > modem saw the three plus signs and hung up.
>
> Sounds likely, but any modem that does so is defective.  The modem should
> ignore "+++" unless it is preceded and followed by a pause.

There is a fee they don't have to pay if they don't completely implement
the hayes standard.  So it depends on who you ask as to if it's defective,
the modem is working as it was designed by the manufacturer, but the
manufacturer may have been better to pick a different design.

Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |