Re: no kernel source

> Question 1.. How do I unpack the source code so that everything
> falls down to the appropriate directories??

Grab a kernel tarball, untar it in /tmp, then move the created linux
dir to /usr/src/kernel-source-<version>.
Then make a symlink in /usr/src called linux and point it to the
source you intend to use.

So:

$ tar zxvf linux-2.2.3.tar.gz
$ cp -a linux /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.3
$ cd /usr/src
$ ln -s kernel-source-2.2.3 linux

> Question 2.. I am currently using 2.0.32  and I want to recompile
> my kernel. Would it later become a BIG PROBLEM if I installed the
> source code for a newer kernel and compiled it on top of my
> 2.0.32 kernel? What else do I need to upgrade in order to get
> my system to run properly??

The machine I am typing this on has a 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 kernel on it.
There is nothing to worry about.
If you really want a 2.0.x kernel, use 2.0.36.  It clears up a few
problmes from the older ones.