dpkg problem with emacs packages

Hi.  I've got two packages on my system that are
"broken" I think...  In deselect they appear like this:

C**  Std editors  emacs19
C**  Std editors  emacsen-comm

It seems I am stuck with these 2 packages.  (What
happened was that the bulk of the programs files were
deleted from the /usr directory, and now it won't uninstall
properly)  When I try to reinstall or remove them I get
errors (using dselect).  I was wondering if there to force
the removal of these packages?  I checked out the help
file for "dpkg --force-help"  but it was confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Ben Frame
frameb@wabash.edu