Printer config: still not there

So, I installed Debian 2.0 back when it was new.  I've been using it
without problems for a while.

Today I decided to go ahead and install LPRng.  (No, I don't print
very often.)  Installation apparently worked okay, but of course
/etc/printcap refers to the generic dot matrix printer and printing
stairsteps off the edge of the page in two lines.  No problem -- I
have the printcap from my previous system archived, and that had the
right incomprehensible gibberish for my NEC Superscript 100 printer.

Copy that over the generic printcap, kill and restart lpd and *lpd
refuses to start*.  That is, it (apparently) exits instantly on any
attempt to start it, without error messages to the console (even with
the -F flag) and without putting any messages in any system logs.

This is repeatable -- I can uninstall and reinstall LPRng, and it will
work until I edit /etc/printcap, after which lpd refuses to run.

Weird.

Any ideas?  Would it be helpful to post my (modified) /etc/printcap?

Note that I read linux.debian.user rather than the mailing list, so I
might not see replies to the list for a few days (until the gateway
posts them).  That's not a problem, I just want you to know why I
might not respond immediately.

Is anyone working on a user-friendly printer setup program for Linux?
I might volunteer for such a project.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum