Re: Loading packages from zip drive

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Chris Reay wrote:

> I have an old-ish Toshiba laptop (486, 200 mb, no CD) onto which I have
> loaded the Debian v2.0 base system from the dos partition. I now want to add
> a few console editing, development (mostly Python and C), and utility
> packages; to this end I've copied the relevant binary-i package directories
> (and packages) from an Infomagic CDR (11/98 ish) as well as the files
> Package and Package.gz onto an Iomega zip drive, which I have mounted. I run
> through dselect and select the zip directory, select the packages I want,
> resolve (i trust) dependency issues and set it going. The process appears to
> be collecting information about the packages but doesn't get very far at
> all, and after a while finds "too many errors ..." and returns to the
> dselect menu without installing the packages. I've looked through the
> installation, faq, and tutorial documents, but haven't found anything
> helpful on the topic. Does anybody know the solution?

The "too many errors" thing is a bug in dpkg, it should not stop
just because "too many errors".

This is usually avoided by using an installation method which does package
ordering, like APT or dpkg-mountable.

You may also do   dpkg --pending --configure   or select "4. [C]onfig"  in
dselect, and try to continue with the install after some packages have
been configured.