KDEDIR and mime problem

I installed KDE from deb packages, except for KDELIBS, since I had to compile
this package with --enable-new-stuff (or similar option).  I have installed a
few packages, including kexplorer from source, however.  Not all of
kexplorer's functionality is present, suggesting a problem with mime types.

My KDEDIR is /usr/bin/X11  but some apps end up in /usr/bin/X11/bin
and possibly some other places.  My mime types are not in
$KDEDIR/share/mimelnk as I believe they should be.

What have I done wrong and how can I fix this?  At the moment, only kexplorer
appears to be affected by this.

thanks

--
Andrew