Re: resolv.conf

Michael Beattie writes:
> In windows, the DNS server's address can be requested from the peer
> during PPP negotiation, (you dont need to enter DNS address's for most
> ISP's anymore) whereas in linux, that particular feature of PPP
> negotiation is not available in pppd. (The address can be supplied to the
> peer, but not requested).

>From the ppp-2.3.6 README:

* Added new option `usepeerdns', thanks to Nick Walker
  <nickwalker@email.com>.  If the peer supplies DNS addresses, these
  will be written to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.  The ip-up script can then
  be used to add these addresses to /etc/resolv.conf if desired (see
  the ip-up.local.add and ip-down.local.add files in the scripts
  directory).

I will be adding support for this feature to pppconfig.

The pppd man page is, as usual, obsolete and so doesn't mention this
feature.