Re: K-Rad Debian?

> ESP wrote:
>

> > 4) Is anyone else interested in a K6-optimized version of Debian
> >    (which I've dubbed "K-Rad Debian" in my own head, just because it
> >    sounds good)?  I'd think it'd be great for pre-install on low-end
> >    PCs, a lot of which use the K6.
> >
> > 5) Is this interesting enough to become an "official" port?
> >

> I'm using K6 sounds good to me:)
> Kent

I don't think that is a stunningly good idea.  Imagine this:

debian-i386
debian-i486
debian-K5
debian-K6
debian-K6-2
debian-K6-3
debian-K7
debian-P5
debian-P6
debian-P5MMX
debian-PII
debian-PIII
debian-PIIII
debian-PIIIII
debian-PIIIIII:)

All of these processors can run the same debian version currently, but
might benefit from their own optimizations.  In it's current form debian
already takes up `quite some space'.  If there were a split like this,
this would really get out of hand.  The way to go is making it easier
to recompile source packages to suit your own optimization preferences.
I think this is a (very) long term goal for debian.

Comments anyone?

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)