Re: Bash buffer size

> When I do an "ls -l" in a directory such as /etc, it
> lists down about 300 entries but I can only go back and see
> about 150 of them because of my limited "buffer size"
> or whatever that might be called !

This has little to do with bash.  It is a setting of the terminal you
use.  For an xterm, you can specify the number of saved lines with the
-sl option (xterm -sl 1000 gives you 1000 lines), or put a line

XTerm*saveLines:     1000

in your ~/.Xresources file, and make sure it is read by your .xsession
file (with something like `xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources').

However, the way to deal with this comfortably, is to use a pager like
`less':

$ ls -l /etc | less

This sends the output of ls -l to the pager less, and you can easily
scroll up and down, and search with `/' (forward) and `?' (backward).

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)