Re: Zombies

Package: procps
Version: 1:1.9.0-2
Severity: wishlist

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 10:58:10PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > BTW, has anyone else noticed that the manpage for ps(1) is uglier than sin?
> > Whose idea of nroff formatting is that?
>
> Mine looks okay; well, other than it being a man page and I find most man pages
> ugly to begin with, but only because I speak English instead of Developer  :)
> (why don't they ever give real-life examples of the command instead of just
> techno-speak?)

It's not a man page at all. Especially, the author seems to be completely
ignorant of any text formatiing system.

Yeah, this is a bug report. ps (1) should be a man page formatted in the
troff format.

Thanks,
Marcus

.\" Man page for ps.
.\" Quick hack conversion by Albert Cahalan, 1998.
.\" Licensed under version 2 of the Gnu General Public License.
.\"
.\" This man page is a horrid hack because *roff sucks.
.\" The whole system is way obsolete. The internal header
.\" stuff must die, and will when I figure out how to kill it.
.\" I've already killed the wasteful left margin and screwy
.\" old perfect justification. Gross! You'd think someone
.\" invented this crap in 1973. Oh yeah, they did.
.\"
.TH PS 1 "July 5, 1998" "Linux" "Linux User's Manual"
.SH \fRNAME\fR
ps \- report process status
.ad r
.na
.ss 12 0
.in 0
.nh
.nf

SYNOPSIS
ps [options]

DESCRIPTION
ps gives a snapshot of the current processes. If you want
a repetitive update of this status, use top or gtop. This man
page documents the /proc-based version of ps, or tries to.