Re: X busted after 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 09:47:49AM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      When I updated a hamm partition to slink (using apt-get
> dist-upgrade) the upgrade was easy and painless.  I purged xbase (and
> a lot of other x stuff I don't use).  My  XF86Config was not disturbed
> by the installation or purging.  I doubt if you need that "dire
> warning".

Yes; as this thread has developed it looks like XF86Config itself is not
the problem.  I'd appreciate more info from anyone having a problem, so we
can track this down.

>      PS: After reading Brian Mays' message commenting on this, I
> checked the ownership of XF86Config on my system.  dpks -S reports
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config is owned by xserver-common in slink and
> xbase in /hamm.  In both cases it is a symlink to /etc/X11/XF86Config.
> dpkg -S doesn't find /etc/X11/XF86Config.

Per the packaging manual, XF86Config is not a conffile, because there is no
reasonable default for it.  /etc/X11/XF86Config does not ship with any
package; it is created by hand or with the xf86config or XF86Setup tools.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The key to being a Southern Baptist:
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   It ain't a sin if you don't get caught.