Re: purge will not remove autofs

After doing this (adding exit 0 to prerm) ...

dpkg --purge autofs
dpkg: error processing autofs (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 autofs

OK, so I reinstalled...

dpkg --install autofs_3.1.1-7.deb
Selecting previously deselected package autofs.
(Reading database ... 28494 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace autofs 3.1.1-7 (using autofs_3.1.1-7.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement autofs ...
Setting up autofs (3.1.1-7) ...
Starting automounter:.

But I still couldn't remove it...

 dpkg --purge autofs
(Reading database ... 28494 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing autofs ...
Stopping automounter.
dpkg: error processing autofs (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting automounter:.
 autofs

So I'm back to where I started...

Jeff Noxon wrote:

> Add an "exit 0" to the top of the prerm script and try again.
>
> i.e.,
>
> #!/bin/bash
> exit 0
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff
>
> On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 03:31:18PM -0400, Paul Kirschner wrote:
> > In the process of installing and removing autofs and amd, I got autofs
> > locked up so that I cannot remove, purge, install or unpack it. All I
> > get is...
> >
> > dpkg --purge autofs
> > (Reading database ... 28494 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Removing autofs ...
> > Stopping automounter.
> > dpkg: error processing autofs (--purge):
> >  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> > Starting automounter:.
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  autofs
> >

> > The pre and post-rm script just stop autofs and run OK by hand.
> >
> > How can I completely remove or install or fix this?
> >
> > TIA.

Paul Kirschner                                       #include
<disclaimer.std>
pek@logos.res.utc.com
United Technologies Research Center