Re: Help: Install 2.0 on 2nd drive?

Albert Hurd <ahurd@home.com> writes:

> I want finally to migrate to Debian 2.0 from 1.3.1. I have purchased a
> new 12.7 gig Quantum drive, and hope to install 2.0 on it, but leave
> 1.3.1 temporarily on the old drive (this drive has win95 on the first
> partition, and Debian 1.3.1 and a swap on the next two partitions---I
> boot from a floppy into 1.3.1). After I am sure I have 2.0 working
> correctly (booting temporarily from a new floppy) I want to delete
> 1.3.1, and use that space for backup. I also plan to replace Win95 by
> WinNT and use its boot routine to dual boot (into Linux by
> default). Can anyone tell me whether this is feasible, and any
> possible roadblocks on the way. When I am finished, I would like my
> 2.0 partition to look like the 1.3.1 partition does now. Will this
> involve remounting it to /?  As you can see, I am a relative newbie
> who has avoided this transition for too long now. Any help would be
> much appreciated.

     Installing Debian on a new partition on a new drive is perfectly
feasible.  It would be the same as an initial installation.  Why 2.0
instead of 2,1?

     I'll pass on using WinNT's boot routine to boot Debian.  I
believe it would work, but I have always used loadlin from DOS, and
have no experience with other boot loaders.  Check the HOWTO's in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini - I think there's one on the NT loader.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>