Re: Newbie X problem

You don't need to reinstall. You system hangs because xdm is being run as part of the
boot up. You need to boot into 'single user mode' to fix this problem. At the lilo
prompt you'll need to type 'Linux single' where "Linux" is whatever label you used in
your lilo.conf. This will bring you to a password prompt for the root account. Once
logged in you can remove whatever boot file is starting xdm (I'm not sure what it
would be since you're not using the standard debian package). /etc/init.d/xdm? For the
debian package xdm startup is controlled by the file /etc/X11/config. There would be a
line 'xdm-start-server' and 'start-xdm' which could be commented out or changed to
'no-start-xdm', and 'no-xdm-start-server'. You may then reboot into normal multi-user
mode. Check /var/log/xdm-errors to see any error messages which may have been
generated.