Re: Any way to convert Word 7 files?

On 13 Apr 99, at 15:34,  Wayne Topa
 wrote about Re: Any way to convert Word 7 files:

> 	Subject: Re: Any way to convert Word 7 files?
> 	Date: Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 07:11:35PM +0100

> Quoting Anthony Campbell(acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk):
> > On 13 Apr 1999, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I've a nasty feeling the answer is going to be  "no", but I wonder whether
> > > there is any way to convert or read a Word 7 file on linux?
> > >
> > > Or do I have to borrow a Windows machine and convert it to txt?
> > >

> > Thanks to all who replied about this. A lot of you suggested WP8 but I was
> > unable to get this to install, possibly because it doesn't work with kernel
> > 2.2.x.
>
> Humm, I guess the wp8 I'm running on 2.2.5 is a fluke?  Runs fine here
> tho.

Strictly a guess (I just downloaded and heven't tried to install
yet), but WP needs libc5 (from what I read so far). If he only had
libc6 installed then he'd have a problem.

By the way - is there an install package (like for Netscape), or
should I just install into /user/local. Also, assuming no install
package (obviously I haven't checked yet), does anyone know what
packages I need for the requisite libc5 support?

TIA

> --
> Flon's Law:
>   There is not now, and never will be, a language in which it is
>   the least bit difficult to write bad programs.
> Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@ix.netcom.com>

   Jan M.        -  mailto:jancm@bigfoot.com

   PGP key mailto:jancm@bigfoot.com?Subject=send%20pgp%20key
       Fingerprint:397D 093C E802 964E  5316 B90A 93CE 6696

Thought for the day:
    To make judgements about great and lofty things, a soul of the same
    stature is needed; otherwise we ascribe to them that vice which
    is our own.
               -- Montaigne