Re: Adding stuff to init

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 04:14:08PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> I've got to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the Debian's startup
> scripts. I read through update-rc.d's man page, but the format of
> skelton scares me - I don't understand it yet.
For somthing that dosn't run as a daemon, you simply need to replace the
line beginning start-stop-daemon.  If it does, then change the capilitized
stuff near the top.

> 1. "aumix -L" to be started as soon as the sound modules
> initialize. Nothing to be done for it at shutdown.
If the sound really does run as modules, then this has nothing to do with
/etc/init.d.  What you want to do is add a line like "postinst cs4232
/usr/bin/aumix -L -f /etc/defaults/aumix" to /etc/conf.modules.  (If you're
running Slink, edit /etc/conf.modules (or modules.conf, take your pick)
directly.  If you're running potato, then edit /etc/modutils/whatever, and
then run update-modules.)  (Note that if you try doing the /etc/init.d thing
with a modulified sound setup, then the mixer will (probably, depends on
hardware and driver design) go back to defaults when the module is
autocleaned and put back.)  A similar trick, BTW, is a cure for nonstandard
modularified serial port problems.

	-=- James Mastros

--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."